Why your gift matters…
Your gift builds stronger families and brighter futures for children of all ages.
This year over 300 teens found safety and support at a community center with a 70-year legacy of caring– Neighborhood House of Milwaukee. Here’s how one teen’s life was transformed:
When he first came to Neighborhood House, 14 year old Roger was caught up in acting tough, and was making poor choices both in and out of school. Teen staff asked Roger to leave the building on more than one occasion for offensive behavior and inappropriate language, but he’d be back the next day like clockwork, clearly drawn to this place. Gradually Roger realized he didn’t have to defend himself here – it was safe for him to just be a kid. As he learned to soften his approach, staff worked with Roger on social and emotional skills. Field trips, mentoring, and career exploration have inspired Roger to try to start his own business, and given him a better understanding of how doing well in school can further his goal.
Now is the time to renew your support for opportunities that empower kids like Roger to thrive and take control of their lives. A gift of any amount keeps Neighborhood House childcare, after-school, and teen programs accessible to Milwaukee children and families regardless of income.
Neighborhood House is growing strong!
Here’s what we accomplished with your 2015 donations:
- Earned a four-star rating from YoungStar for our early childcare
- Launched a new Early Head Start partnership with Next Door
- Expanded job training for refugees at International Learning Center
- Opened our doors for public Skate Nights, Zumba, and more
- Transformed a vacant lot into a vibrant Garden Park on a vacant lot on 27th and Richardson
- Created a spectacular mosaic mural with Neighborhood House kids, artist Sally Duback, and SHARP Literacy
- Doubled summer urban agriculture and environmental programming
- Organized a festive Community Unity block party in August for over 500 neighbors and gave away over 300 backpacks with school supplies
- Provided classroom space for Burmese Immersion Project, a tutoring program for refugee kids
- Partnered with Artworks for Milwaukee for teen arts and job skills workshops
YOU are an essential piece of the mosaic. YOU enable us to complete all this important work while also keeping Neighborhood House, YOUR Neighborhood House, dynamic in innovations, strong in programming, financially healthy. THANK YOU!
To learn more about giving opportunities at Neighborhood House, contact Development Director Claire Van Fossen, (414) 933-6161, ext. 127.
Donations from the greater Milwaukee community are a vital source of funding for Neighborhood House, comprising 28% of our revenues. The annual gala and golf outing are our signature fundraising events where corporate sponsors and individual donors can and do make a big difference in the lives of NH children and families. Volunteers and in-kind donations are always welcome!
- Early childhood staff and kids share their stories on Radio 88.9
- This Radio 88Nine news story captures some of the excitement of a class for displaced workers at International Learning Center.
- WUWM’s LaToya Dennis interviews Phan Sanford about Efforts Underway in Wisconsin to Help Black Children Beat Odds Against Them